Lead/Senior Ruby on Rails Developer (Remote Working Possibility)
Who we are
We are a digital service design agency with strong technical delivery capabilities with ambitious growth plans. We’ve been helping the government, charities, corporations, and start-ups to achieve their digital goals since 2009. We like to do work that has a positive impact on society, and many of our projects have a social-good aspect to them.
Relationships, innovation, and quality are at the core of who we are. We believe that by forming positive relationships with colleagues and clients, we can be better than the sum of our parts. Our focus on innovation helps us find smart solutions to our clients’ problems. Our dedication to quality means the services and products we create always leave people smiling.
Flexible and remote working
From the very beginning, we established effective remote working practices. It provides a better work-life balance and gives our people more autonomy. It opens up opportunities for people who otherwise would not be able to work with us and helps us do our bit in preserving the environment. As long as you can make it to client meetings when required, you can choose to work from home as much as you wish.
What is it like being a Ruby on Rails Developer at Bit Zesty?
As a permanent Ruby on Rails Developer at Bit Zesty, you will be working alongside the product/project management and UX teams to create rock-solid and scalable products.
It is the perfect opportunity for someone who is experienced in creating dynamic web applications and passionate about clean code and who is looking for a long term role.
- Write and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable Ruby code.
- DevOps: improve the automation of the software development process.
- Identify performance issues and bugs; and provide solutions to these problems.
- Contribute to creating a culture of writing excellent software.
- Take wireframes/mockups and user stories and build systems that meet the requirements.
- Create user-friendly web app interfaces by working closely with UX designers and front-end developers.
- Work with other team members to ensure we are building the right product.
- Participate in code reviews.
- Pair-program with other developers and discuss technical architectures.
You would love this role if you are:
- Experienced with 8 or more years of developing applications with Ruby on Rails.
- An expert in HTML, CSS & JS.
- Excellent knowledge of SQL (MySQL/PostgreSQL).
- Experienced with NoSQL (MongoDB/CouchDB/ElasticSearch).
- Interested in learning new technologies (for example, Elixir, React Native).
- Passionate about technology and good user experience.
- Superbly organised and have great attention to detail.
- Comfortable working across multiple projects.
- Able to take initiative and work with minimal supervision.
- Have a university degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or a related subject.
As a Bit Zesty team member, you should also be:
- Acting with integrity - we value honesty and doing the right thing.
- Customer experience orientated - we strive to provide an excellent experience for the end-users, our customers and our teammates.
- Committed to quality - whether it is award-winning designs, robust code or well-written email, we never cut corners.
- Task-focused - for us it is about getting the job done, rather than watching the clock.
- Flexible - we are not phased by changing priorities or requirements and are comfortable with a level of uncertainty.
What do we offer in return?
- Opportunity to work mostly remotely (unless you prefer to be office based).
- Flexible working hours.
- 25 days holiday, birthday day off (+ bank holidays).
- Training/conference budget.
- Medical insurance.
- Gym membership.
- £60K to £100K salary depending on relevant experience and working arrangement.
If you wish to be office based:
- Office in a vibrant central London location - Islington/Kings Cross.
- Free bar to unwind after a busy day.
- Roof terrace for hot summer days.
Are you interested? Please send us your CV; we’d love to hear from you.
We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion or belief, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnerships, pregnancy or maternity or age.